In order to grow and thrive in the 21st century, SSCA needs worldwide active advocates “in the field.” With this in mind, our Roving Ambassador Program was conceived a few years ago by Marcie Lynn, Nine of Cups, as a way to encourage actively cruising SSCA members to “spread the word” to foster international goodwill, to promote SSCA values, and to help grow SSCA. Taking over from Marcie, former SSCA Board member and star Roving Ambassador, Melinda Schell, Sea Schell, is now very ably “parenting" the program.
Roving Ambassadors are asked to carry a supply of SSCA Commodores’ Bulletins and promotional brochures (provided by Home Base) and to participate in as many activities as they are comfortable undertaking. Suggestions include:
• Talking about SSCA with individuals met while cruising and sharing information with them.
• Completing or updating at least two port guides per year.
• Visiting a Cruising Station to thank them for their participation and answer their questions.
• Recommending a new Cruising Station.
• Writing at least one article/letter for the Bulletin each year.
• Coordinating/arranging a group get-together (e.g. Potluck, raft-up etc.) to promote SSCA membership.
• Posting to the SSCA Forum or SSCA Facebook; mention the merits of SSCA on the RA’s blog or website.
• Recommending another potential Roving Ambassador.
• Tracking accomplishments and activities and reporting them to Home Base at least every six months.
Melinda needs YOUR help. As participation in the RA program is by invitation only, the program needs recommendations of potential Roving Ambassadors. Contact Melinda at RovingAmbassador@ssca.org if you know of any SSCA members who are active cruisers, have demonstrated a strong advocacy for SSCA, have promoted SSCA values and whom you think might agree to “represent” SSCA proactively throughout their travels. Should you be so inclined, feel free to recommend yourself!