Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Grippy boat shoes

Re: Grippy boat shoes

by hirover » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:44 pm

No 'Irish Setter' or Model #3871 in the catalogue at the Redwing Site. Looks like they are NLA.

I mostly wear Crocs on the boat but they aren't much good on a wet deck or with wet feet. As long as the tread isn't worn too much they don't give you that ice skating experience but still aren't anywhere near a good pair of Topsiders. Unfortunately, when they do get wet inside, my feet slip all around in them. So bad, almost can't walk in them till I dry them out. Wish Crocs would make a boat shoe with a better non skid outsole AND insole.

FWIW, the plastic that Crocs are made out of doesn't create or harbor odors. That's the main reason they have been so successful. They guy who invented Crocs discovered this plastic made by a Canadian company and designed the shoes around it. Crocs became such a big money maker that Croc's bought the Canadian rubber manufacturer to get the patent for the material. Crocs was a Big Deal in Canada till they shut down the Canadian plant and moved manufacturing to China.
Peter O.
Pa'akai O'o
Pearson 35 #108
hirover

by John Stevenson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:59 pm

For the past 4 or 5 years I've been wearing Land's End Tekkers as my sailing, deck and hiking shoes. They aren't the cheapest nor the most durable shoes I've ever owned, but they comfortable, easy to get on and off, and moderately priced. I keep two different pairs on board. The basic Trekker shoes I wear for sailing (when not barefoot) and general walking around. If I'm going hiking I put on the lace-up trekkers.
The basic Trekkers have elastic laces which makes getting the shoes on and off very easy, but those laces are not very durable and not easly replaced. My first pair of Trekkers lasted a little less than 3 years before the elastic laces broke. I couldn't replace the laces so I bought another pair of the shoes. The hiking shoes appear to be a lot more durable and I expect them to to last for several more years.
The soles are non-marking, very secure and very durable. When wet the Trekkers normally dry-out in a few hours.

John
John Stevenson
Vessel Name: Sarah
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 424

by skipperbobbyd » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:16 am

Google on "Irish Setter Boat Shoes" for selection of outlets.

Best price but limitted size selection try:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/345, ... r-Men.html
skipperbobbyd
Location: River Rat Yacht Club; Jordan Creek, Belhaven, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Colleen Mae
Vessel Make and Model: Shannon 43 CB Ketch

by skipperbobbyd » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:35 am

Sorry; I guess the shoe that is for 49.50 is the "Tidewater" boat shoe---not what I had in mind! Does not have the grippy sole

Try the Lakeside from Orvis for $69
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx ... feeds*4489

This model has the grippy sole
skipperbobbyd
Location: River Rat Yacht Club; Jordan Creek, Belhaven, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Colleen Mae
Vessel Make and Model: Shannon 43 CB Ketch

by zeehag » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:18 pm

i used to wear omega reef warriors until they no longer were made--i now wear bare feet. teak decks, unless oiled varnished or sealed are the best non skid ever known. should not be a problem. good luck.
zeehag
Vessel Name: solitary bird
Vessel Make and Model: formosa yankee clipper 1976

by Jaga » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:53 am

hirover wrote: Wish Crocs would make a boat shoe with a better non skid outsole AND insole.

Forgot that Crocs came out with a boat shoe earlier this year (WM had them last spring). Have a non-skid/non-marking boat sole:

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-ace-boating/10376,default,pd.html?cid=282&cgid=men-footwear-sport

They'll be my next pair.
Scot
s/v Jaga
Ingrid38
KE7WRA
Jaga
Vessel Name: Jaga
Vessel Make and Model: Ingrid 38

by Kamaloha » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:48 pm

For old boat shoe soles that have hardened, try a quick hit of some 60 grit sandpaper to take off the oxidized rubber. Renews their traction, until you just plain run out of rubber.
Charlie
s/v Kamaloha - K1QE
1988 Tayana 37 Cutter #542
Kamaloha
Vessel Name: Kamaloha
Vessel Make and Model: Tayana 37

by s/v Manali » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Kamaloha wrote:For old boat shoe soles that have hardened, try a quick hit of some 60 grit sandpaper to take off the oxidized rubber. Renews their traction, until you just plain run out of rubber.

The 36 grit disk in the grinder is good for that, too.
;-)
s/v Manali
Vessel Name: Manali
Vessel Make and Model: Joel White double-ender

by svphoenix » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:25 pm

I love Keens, but I've defected to the Teva Omnium camp. The shoe itself is lighter and the "spider" rubber clings better. You can see a picture of a women's model here http://svphoenix.net/deckshoes.shtml along with the keens and an outside competitor - Vibram FiveFingers! Very weird looking but next best thing to barefoot.
svphoenix
Vessel Name: Phoenix
Vessel Make and Model: Ohlson 41

by jacaldwell1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 am

FYI,
After starting this thread 30 months ago, I bought a pair of Sperry (I forget the model, the kind that look like a modified running shoe with lots of drainage) Just got them out for the season today. The tread is now ice rink slick. (I think we have concluded this is oxidation as it certainly is not wear.
Useless. I guess I'm done with Sperry in my quest for a grippy shoe with some life. I'll stick to inexpensive CROCs except for offshore work.
Jonathan
s/v Calypso
Gulfstar 50 Aux Sail
jacaldwell1

by jasonallen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:05 am

The first thing that popped in my mind is having a custom one to have a long lasting pair of shoe. There are good shops ( nushoe/nushoeinspectandcorrect ) there that do exact specifics on boots. Just tell them your reference and they will do it.[/url]
jasonallen

by skipmac » Mon May 09, 2016 2:59 pm

skipperbobbyd wrote:I am about to buy my third pair in five years of "Irish Setter" ventilated shoes made by Red Wing Model #3871. My first pair, which are quite worn now, which I use for dirty jobs on the boat still grip extrordinarily well, wheas my old boat shoe soles have all hardened and lost their traction. My second pair are still in good condition, but I want a nice new pair to wear to dinner etc.

In addition, these shoes are extreemly comfortable. cost about $70.

I looked at the web site for Redwing shoes and on the internet. When I search for Redwing Irish Setter I get boots. I searched for a model 3871 and their web site does not shoe that model number at all.

Is this a model that is not available in the US? Can you give any additional information or a link?

Thanks
Skip
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac
Vessel Name: to be determined
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 422