Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Induction stoves on boats?

Water/Provisions/Cooking/Health/Children/Home Schooling

Induction stoves on boats?

by Imram Brain » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:05 am

I'm thinking of getting an induction cooktop for my kitchen, and now I'm wondering if anyone has opinions about the practicality of using this tech on boats.

Induction cooktops have some advantages that seem to me to be relevant to boats - they use much less electricity than electric cooktops, and have the same 'instant adjustment' as gas cooktops. They are actually much more efficient than gas cooktops - about 95% of the energy ends up in the pan vs. about 60% for gas (I assume propane is the same as natural gas in this respect). The surface of the cooktop does not get hot, except to the extent that the heat in the pan is radiated or conducted back to the cooktop - it's actually possible (and not uncommon) to cook with a paper towel between the stove and the pan to avoid scratching the stove. So it's safer in general than either gas or 'normal' electric.

Induction cooktops are a lot more expensive. The only other general disadvantage that I know of is that induction requires the pans to be susceptible to magnetic fields - either cast iron, or steel, or most stainless steel pans. No more aluminum or glass. (That's not a disadvantage to me.) And I don't think induction ovens are possible, although I suppose a dutch oven might work just fine. So a standard electric/convection oven would be required if one bakes.

One other possible issue - since induction is basically an oscillating magnetic field, would it play badly with boat navigation and/or radio communication?

As I struggle along in the refit process, I'm thinking of eliminating propane entirely, and just using diesel and electric as power sources. This would eliminate a hazard and simplify provisioning, and would also reduce the clutter on the back of the boat. My boat (a refit in progress) already has diesel heat.

So, in sum, it seems at first glance that induction technology would be a good direction for a cruising boat, if one has a sufficient electrical setup. Does this make sense? There are commercial-quality induction cooktops in stainless that could be adapted to a gymbaled mount.
Preparing for the Magical Voyage ("Imram")
Imram Brain
Vessel Name: Kolika
Vessel Make and Model: Custom cold molded wood launched 1995

Re: Induction stoves on boats?

by Paul Lefebvre » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:38 am

You might find this discussion from 2009 interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8588&p=52313
Paul Lefebvre
Boundless
Pearson 424
Paul Lefebvre

by Robert » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:36 am

If you have required amount of electric power.......................go for it. Make sure stove can be gimboled so no one is hurt underway.

If you want better grade of gas stove...............try Broadwater Stoves made in Australia...........all SS, fast burner, excellent oven & broiler.
Robert
Vessel Name: CARAVELA
Vessel Make and Model: Tashiba 36 cutter rigged

by Scott Berg » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:54 am

Our friends have a induction cooktop on their large motorsailor and love it. We have a single portable induction burner that we use while at the dock or when the genset is running. It's GREAT for many tasks.
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Support SSCA! https://www.ssca.org/dashboard/#/ssca-foundation/
Scott Berg
Vessel Name: CHARDONNAY
Vessel Make and Model: Seaton custom ketch

by chrispruitt » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:10 am

We currently use an induction cook top while on dock. From what I've been able to read, if you are going to use it with an inverter, you must make sure it is a pure sine wave inverter.

Regards,
Chris
chrispruitt
Vessel Name: SV Calypso
Vessel Make and Model: Ericson 29

by Scott Berg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:38 am

we're seeing more and more installed systems on larger boats (induction cook top in lieu of propane, for example). I've tested a small single burner Induction and it worked fine with a 2500w Victron Multi Plus Inverter
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Support SSCA! https://www.ssca.org/dashboard/#/ssca-foundation/
Scott Berg
Vessel Name: CHARDONNAY
Vessel Make and Model: Seaton custom ketch