Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

fishing licences for the ICW...

Water/Provisions/Cooking/Health/Children/Home Schooling

fishing licences for the ICW...

by kathrynseabrook » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello -

I have all the bells and whistles that my fishing buddy's say that I need to score dinner while traveling from NY to Key West.

Do I need fishing licenses for each state that we're cruising down the ICW?

Thank for any info - and yes, I have my husband the chef to make the meal if the fish aren't biting...!

Kathryn
kathrynseabrook

Re: fishing licences for the ICW...

by brilliantstar » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:51 am

The site below has the complicated information you need. Because the AICW is intertidal, you may need both a fresh and salt water license. Most states require visible stickers. The combination of visible fishing gear and no sticker is asking for a boarding.

The bottom line is Yes, but a significant percentage of the cruisers we have met over the years are scofflaws. The fines are substantial, and once you are stopped for no license, law enforcement has probable cause for open ended boat searches.

http://takemefishing.org/fishing/license/

If you are going to the Bahamas, the fishing license fee is included in the cruising permit fee, but there are limitations on the amount of fishing equipment.

Keep in mind that most AICW fish found in brackish water will have Vibrio bacteria in their slime. Keeping them well chilled before cleaning reduces the infection risk. Wear gloves if you have lesions on your hands. Wash up with warm soap and water and a mild disinfectant.
brilliantstar
Vessel Name: Brilliant Star
Vessel Make and Model: Caliber 40LRC