Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Efficient Battery Charging

Discussions on Cruiser's Workshop articles from Bulletin or Website

Efficient Battery Charging

by BWR » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:18 am

The article associated with this topic was submitted by Dave McCampbell and was published on 3/4/2017. It may be found on the Cruisers' Workshop page on the SSCA website's Publications Menu, under the topic "Basic Systems."

Please feel free to add your comments on this article by Dave McCampbell to this thread.
BWR
Vessel Name: Bright Ayes
Vessel Make and Model: Caliber 47LRC

Re: Efficient Battery Charging

by HartleyGardner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:05 am

Hello Dave,

Excellent article, though I will offer a couple of minor "picks".

1. There is an extraneous note just to the right of the picture of the TCR and Diode that should have been removed.

2. In the diagram of the electrical system, the fuse on the house battery should be between the battery itself and ALL of the connections. (And the current requirement under ABYC is "within 7 wire inches") The start battery connection to the starter is exempted (due to the large amp requirement, the voltage drop potential across the fuse and the possibility of the fuse interrupting the starter circuit under low battery conditions (when the current goes up even more)) but any other connection really should be fused as you show.

My personal preference is for a voltage-sensitive combiner instead of a diode, but this certainly introduces yet another "gizmo" (and potential failure point) into the system :)

Thank You!

Hartley
S/V Atsa
HartleyGardner
Vessel Name: Atsa
Vessel Make and Model: Tayana 48DS

Re: Efficient Battery Charging

by Dave McCampbell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for the comments Hartley. We are about 30 mins from getting underway for W Papua. I will follow up when I get back to internet next month. Again thanks for taking the time to comment. They will remain here as additional info for the article. Dave
Dave McCampbell
Vessel Name: Soggy Paws
Vessel Make and Model: CSY 44 WT + St. Francis 44 MK II