Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Extremely Disappointed in Maggi Chain

Sails/Engines/Fuel/Refrigeration/Watermakers/Pumps/Heads

Extremely Disappointed in Maggi Chain

by svneko » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:05 pm

My boat had a load of Maggi Aqua4 chain (or whatever they called their G4 back then) that was original to its build in 2004. It was superior chain that I changed out in 2015. It was really only showing a bit of rust where the links connected, but I had the opportunity to replace it and wanted to lighten my ground tackle load. I purchased Maggi Aqua7 chain in a size smaller - 5/16”. It is essentially equivalent in strength to 3/8” G4 chain, and it saved me well over 100lbs on the foredeck.

However, after about a year on the boat the chain started showing alarming amounts of rust and corrosion. Now, after a year and a half, I need to replace it ASAP. This is far to soon for this chain to rust away. The galvanizing on the Aqua7 is not the smooth, hard finish I had on the Aqua4. It is lumpier and seemingly softer. In any event, it is all gone and the bare surface of the chain is rusting. I have heard other reports that Maggi Aqua7 galvanizing does not stand up, and now I have first hand experience.

The most concerning part of this whole episode has been the response of the Maggi company to our issues. The premature corrosion issue was quickly acknowledged and a new chain promised… and promised and promised. But never delivered. Despite what I deem to be the best intentions of Maggi’s US supplier, I have to conclude that I have been given the runaround, perhaps in an attempt to wear us down so we let it go and buy some competitor’s chain. If you want a sense of the degree of runaround we have been given, read the correspondence posted in our blog (since I do not seem able to post a file on this forum), which begins in April 2016 and ends in December 2016 with me basically saying “Bueller, Bueller?”

This is a major chain manufacturer and supplier to the marine industry. I think the boating public needs to know about the quality of the chain they are selling and the customer service that backs it up. I warned them I would write posts such as this and take other steps. This is one way in which the individual customer has some power in this internet age. So why not exercise it? Buy Maggi chain at your risk.

https://svneko.com/
svneko

Re: Extremely Disappointed in Maggi Chain

by FAST FRED » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:27 am

No question weight in the ends matter , even in a monohull.

Inshore a bit of weight in the bow is no problem, an old method of going offshore was to move the chain inboard , usually directly under the mast.

On some cruisers this was done with a deck plate just for relocating the chain with a chain drum on a halyard winch to ease the work.
FAST FRED
FAST FRED

by stormalong » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:14 am

FAST FRED wrote:No question weight in the ends matter , even in a monohull.

Inshore a bit of weight in the bow is no problem, an old method of going offshore was to move the chain inboard , usually directly under the mast.

On some cruisers this was done with a deck plate just for relocating the chain with a chain drum on a halyard winch to ease the work.

What does this have to do with the original posters issue with the chain manufacturer?

The gentleman has an issue and you talk about balancing the boat.

Are you the same FAST FRED that used to sit on the VHF in Trinidad and criticize everyone because you knew "the right way" better than anyone else?
Brian
stormalong
Vessel Name: Storm Along
Vessel Make and Model: Nordic 44SE

by FAST FRED » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:58 am

"What does this have to do with the original posters issue with the chain manufacturer?
The gentleman has an issue and you talk about balancing the boat."

" I had the opportunity to replace it and wanted to lighten my ground tackle load. ''

The OP wrote he desired lighter ground tackle ,I merely suggested a method to operate with heavier gear with no problem with the boats performance.

"Are you the same FAST FRED that used to sit on the VHF in Trinidad and criticize everyone because you knew "the right way" better than anyone else?"

Not me , never been to T dad except in Navy aircraft.

Your snark reply shows you do not understand the purpose of boards like this.

Sure the OP was decrying a crap mfg , which is useful specific info.

However lots of other folks might consider they have a need to lighten the chain load.

An alternative was suggested to contemplate .
FAST FRED
FAST FRED

by robertmackie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:34 am

Sorry, but I have to agree with Stormalong. Your comment had nothing to do with NEKO's post. I met Neko this fall in Grenada when he was having issues. Still is I guess.

Anyways, you comment on the thread that I started a LONG time ago about my water making "bubbles" and "your" CURE for me was strange as well. You tell me that "you have a vacuum leak".

If you had read the post you would see that my issue was resolved over a year prior to your comment and I did NOT have any leak at all. Your comment to me was not relevant with regards to the post either so I understand Brian's comment.
robertmackie

by robertetheridge » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:35 am

Yeah, I had similar problems with Maggi Chain and I was disappointed too. Although, my friend have it and it works perfectly fine for him. Maybe we just had a bad luck?
robertetheridge

Maggi Chain

by svneko » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 am

I wanted to update my original post with Maggi's response to my public complaints about the chain I purchased from them. Shortly after my posting (here and in several other forums), I received a response from the company seeking to expedite assistance to me. It turns out that they do not produce very much Aqua7 in 5/16” - most of their production is in metric sizes. This accounted for the delay. Bad communication accounted for the lack of explanation to me. As to the rusting issue, Corrado Maggi says they do on rare occasion suffer loss of galvanizing, but no more on the Aqua7 than on Aqua4. This is hopeful as there has been some speculation that the higher strength chain does not take galvanizing as well as lower strength chains. In any event, they offered to ship to me immediately a replacement chain in Aqua4 and then when a new batch of Aqua7 is produced to ship a length of that to me as well, since the Aqua4 in 5/16” is not an appropriate strength for our boat. We have now received and installed the Aqua4 and are awaiting final production of the Aqua7 replacement. This has been a more than sufficient response for us so far, and we will update this post again with respect to the final receipt of the Aqua7 chain and the performance of the Aqua4 they sent to us. To reiterate, we had been happy with a length of Aqua4 for 6 years (which had been on the boat for 10 years). We hope that the new chain they send us will perform as well and that the rusty batch was just an outlier.

svneko wrote:My boat had a load of Maggi Aqua4 chain (or whatever they called their G4 back then) that was original to its build in 2004. It was superior chain that I changed out in 2015. It was really only showing a bit of rust where the links connected, but I had the opportunity to replace it and wanted to lighten my ground tackle load. I purchased Maggi Aqua7 chain in a size smaller - 5/16”. It is essentially equivalent in strength to 3/8” G4 chain, and it saved me well over 100lbs on the foredeck.

However, after about a year on the boat the chain started showing alarming amounts of rust and corrosion. Now, after a year and a half, I need to replace it ASAP. This is far to soon for this chain to rust away. The galvanizing on the Aqua7 is not the smooth, hard finish I had on the Aqua4. It is lumpier and seemingly softer. In any event, it is all gone and the bare surface of the chain is rusting. I have heard other reports that Maggi Aqua7 galvanizing does not stand up, and now I have first hand experience.

The most concerning part of this whole episode has been the response of the Maggi company to our issues. The premature corrosion issue was quickly acknowledged and a new chain promised… and promised and promised. But never delivered. Despite what I deem to be the best intentions of Maggi’s US supplier, I have to conclude that I have been given the runaround, perhaps in an attempt to wear us down so we let it go and buy some competitor’s chain. If you want a sense of the degree of runaround we have been given, read the correspondence posted in our blog (since I do not seem able to post a file on this forum), which begins in April 2016 and ends in December 2016 with me basically saying “Bueller, Bueller?”

This is a major chain manufacturer and supplier to the marine industry. I think the boating public needs to know about the quality of the chain they are selling and the customer service that backs it up. I warned them I would write posts such as this and take other steps. This is one way in which the individual customer has some power in this internet age. So why not exercise it? Buy Maggi chain at your risk.

https://svneko.com/
svneko

by robertmackie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Nice to see a what looks like a happy ending. Glad they came through in the long run.

Can be a little frustrating at times....
robertmackie

by Scott Berg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 am

Great news; let's keep this active while we see how the replacement chain works. There are lots of problems in QC with chain these days and knowing what brands hold up and what ones stand behind their products matters. We'll be in the market next year so we're paying close attention.
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Support SSCA! https://www.ssca.org/dashboard/#/ssca-foundation/
Scott Berg
Vessel Name: CHARDONNAY
Vessel Make and Model: Seaton custom ketch