Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Pantaenius Claims Experience

Marine Insurance/Health Insurance/Banking/Bill Paying/Taxes

Pantaenius Claims Experience

by abradley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 am

I'm looking for any experiences -- good or bad -- that cruisers have had with Pantaenius. We are full-time cruisers in the Sea of Cortez and along the Pacific Coast of Mexico, and Pantaenius has offered us a very competitive rate on a policy without a lot of hurricane season restrictions. Of course if claims are going to be a problem, a good price doesn't mean anything.
Thanks, Alan
abradley
Vessel Name: Vivacia
Vessel Make and Model: Caliber 40 LRC

Re: Pantaenius Claims Experience

by Jeffrey Siegel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:01 am

I had one of the most obnoxious meetings in the last couple of days that I've ever had. It was with the President of Pantaenius USA, Cary Wiener. He came across as incredibly arrogant and difficult to talk to. He's the type who is always right about everything. And that's pretty incredible/ironic coming from me if you know me...

He told me that he doesn't want clients who judge his policies by price. That he wants to be the "Mercedes" of yacht insurance companies. When I pointed out that this means he only wants 10% of the market he got insulted that I would even suggest such a thing. He actually got red in the face and told me how I don't know how to treat a "customer."

Although the meeting was a business-to-business thing, I'm also looking around at different insurance policies myself right now for my boat. Pantaenius won't be in the running. High price and high-end branding aren't what I'm looking for.

For what it's worth, Mercedes had 2.3% US marketshare in January 2013.
Jeffrey Siegel
Vessel Name: aCappella
Vessel Make and Model: DeFever 53RPH

by marano » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm

We have been with Pantaenius, UK from 2000 to 2009, and Pantaenius, US ever since we crossed from the Med to the US waters in 2009/2010. Our experience with both companies was more than correct and enjoyable, both in terms of competitive premiums charged and, more importantly, the straightforward acceptance of the two damage claims submitted. The first claim covered a damage sustained in a storm in Greece in 2001, and was dealt with fully and expeditiously by Pantaenius, UK. The second claim arose from a heavy weather caused extensive damage, including a knock down, incurred in the summer of 2011 during my Atlantic crossing on the way back to the Med. After I arrived in Lagos, Portugal, Pantaenius, US, appointed the local surveyor, and for the next eight months, he approved and helped supervise all the repairs carried out by the local trades and the shipyard. Once I paid my deductible, the insurer paid all the costs as quoted and invoiced, including the invoices for our stay in Lagos Marina. Beyond reproach.
I have no interest of any kind in Pantaenius, US other than being a loyal and fully satisfied insured party.
If this note appears as promotion for the company, so be it, for they deserve all the cudos and compliments for their exemplary treatment of just another customer.

Nick Stosic,
s/v Marano
marano
Vessel Name: marano
Vessel Make and Model: Gallart 13.5

by abradley » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks for the great endorsement of Pantaenius. We have already purchased the insurance for the coming year, but your post certainly makes me feel better about my decision. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Alan Bradley
s/v Vivacia
abradley
Vessel Name: Vivacia
Vessel Make and Model: Caliber 40 LRC

by janrobyns » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:52 am

Very bad experience at the moment with Pantaenius UK. First all well and I gave them 3 repair quotes. They then picked the cheapest one (fair enough) and said their liability was a lot less. Their offer is 40% of the repair bill and an arrogant email basically saying:'Take it or leave it'. On top of that it is a claim they will recoup from the yacht's insurer that ran into us hence they fight for other insurance companies and not for their own customers. Will cancel my contract ASAP
janrobyns

by robertmackie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Can you supply a few more details. Your post is pretty sketchy as to the damage, circumstances etc. Just trying to get a real feel for your comments as I am sure, everyone else.

Bob
robertmackie
Vessel Name: Hedonism
Vessel Make and Model: Outbound 46