Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

New Unnecessary Documentation Service

Marine Insurance/Health Insurance/Banking/Bill Paying/Taxes

New Unnecessary Documentation Service

by Brilliant » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:50 am

I thought I'd share this unsolicited letter I recently received with the discussion board.

It's basically an offer from a Vessel Documentation Service to take care of renewing USCG Vessel documentation. They want a small fee of $50 for something that takes me two minutes, my signature, and a first class stamp to complete.

Not bad work if you can get it. Hmmm, I might need to get into this business, definitely a boost to the cruising kitty :wink: .

Seriously, the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center in W. Virginia is one of our best run federal government agencies. The customer service is outstanding. They are friendly and helpful (unlike the FCC) will go out of their way to walk you through the documentation process. Renewals are an absolute no brainer, as long as you remember to sign and mail the renewal letter back to them.

Copy of the letter I received is below. Names have been crossed out to protect the "innocent":

Pete
Brilliant
Vessel Name: Brilliant
Vessel Make and Model: Moody 425

Re: New Unnecessary Documentation Service

by richardmain » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:23 pm

I had an unfortunate (costly) experience with these fraudsters

uscgdocumentation.us

1. Their website has been up less than 6 months yet they claim to be the world's largest and #1 rated service.

2. They misstate the CFR § 67.500(e) and claims the CFR prohibits them from refunding the processing fees you sent them. The actual CFR prevents the refund of application fees paid directly to the USCG.

3. The site and format has been chosen and designed to make boaters believe they are dealing directly with the USCG.
The only immediate disclosure that they are a 3rd party service is at the very bottom in the smallest print possible.

I am looking for other boaters who have had problems with these Long Beach, CA fraudsters.

I thought I was dealing directly with the USCG.....but I was wrong.
richardmain